Sunday, May 13, 2007

When I'm cleaning Windows

It's amazing how much clutter you create on your PC after a while. I am reasonably strict about my folder layout, and what goes where.....the problem is that I change my system with the next install and don't bother re-aligning everything. It does not help that Microsoft set down the laws like My Pictures, My Music etc It kinda forces you to continue the theme to My Websites, My Videos etc unless you want them to stand out.

The cleaning of my Windows is a bigger job than I expected....it's one of those that puts you off just looking at it, but the sooner it's done the sooner I can get on with things. I've found old Windows files I forgot I had, tucked away in folders inside folders inside folders......that I no longer need. It's more the checking that I don't purge anything important that's taking the time. On the bright side, I am on Linux for keeps now......so once it's done, it can be easily maintained.

Add to this, the bookmarks folders are full of sites I bookmarked on seeing them as a "oh that'd be handy" and forgot what they were....many are Windows specific too, I am tempted to save the few that I use, and wipe the rest for a clean start.....but again, if I take that shortcut I'll end up searching for one in a few weeks that knew I had and is now gone.

I am falling for Ubuntu by the hour, it's just so user friendly. I've found a few useful widgets for the panels and have been able to figure out the basic functions of many of the programs I use. This is a lower priority at the moment as I want to get the Windows cleaned first. I may take a few days from adding any blogs to do this, I'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Gordon, long time no see. Yes, Windows makes your computer ugly sometimes. However, I will not soon have that problem; I didn't have much luck with Ubuntu, however I found the x86 (32-bit) Version of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger that is designed to run on Intel processors.

This was meant for the macs that have Intel processors, but I found this copy leaked on a torrent. It runs fine on my PC, and I am less and less having to worry about the bloated Windows.

Nice thing about this - no serial keys and NO ACTIVATION lol.

Well, thought I'd drop a few lines.