Friday, May 11, 2007

More happy upheaval afoot

I've grown increasingly annoyed with Mandriva Linux 2007.1 the more I used it. Mandriva's definition of "stable" seems to include a lot of beta software which frequently crashes or locks up. I only chose it because my first choice Ubuntu didn't find my Speedtouch modem. I tried Ubuntu 7.04 and after some trial and error I got it working. So this means starting from scratch again in the re-adjustment stakes in Gnome instead of KDE. This time I am on the Linux I wanted, and it's not letting me down.

I have been awake close to 24 hours now, and am weary. I've also found a cool new theme and another handy extension for Firefox, which I'll get round to blogging about.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yuk ? What's so buggy about Mandriva 2007.1 ? I use it everyday and it's getting more and more stable everyday.

Dirk Gently said...

Apart from menus and windows refusing to remember their previous settngs...and often stretching way off the screen, programs crashing a LOT, or freezing leaving no option but to cut power manually and reboot.....nothing is wrong with Mandriva.

I did notice that most of the software for 2007.1 is early beta stuff, and overall the longer I used it; the more flaws started to build up and repeat making me feel like it was a developers install.....I don't want a developers install, I want a reasonably stable desktop install.

I applaud some things Mandriva have started doing, but some parts are very Microsoft-esque in their ideas....without the quality control. Notice the insistence on joining the club? Notice all the links to the club services? Notice the home page settings especially in Konquerer, where you can change you homepage to whatever you want.....it still goes to the Mandriva page as a first run script.

The more I used Mandriva the more I felt like I was being shoehorned by a desperate distribution who have lost their way....Linux is supposed to be about freedom, Mandriva has turned very corporate and are getting further and further from that original Linux ethos with each new version of their OS.